So it is Tuesday, and I have been a home owner for 5 days now!
The closing was a completely new experience for me. Less paperwork than I thought, but my lovely lawyer said that it is actually LESS complicated if your loan is through the government, rather than privately owned. Not what you see normally, but whee! I liked that fellow, he was very clear, explaining everything he had me sign. I would recommend him. Same with my realtor :)
It is Done!
I also expected keys to be handed to me, and that did not happen.
I waited, signed more, waited, signed more. Everyone seemed ready to leave- so I asked if the only set of keys was the one key that has been living under the back door mat. For the past month.
Um, about that key.
The improbably named Desiree fessed up that when she had been by to take away the junk that was in the yard (YAYYAYAY) she had jammed the key in the lock.
And it was still in there.
hmmmm
I thought it was just a case of a normal female muscle strength not being up to it, so I swung by the house.
Not moving.
Later that day, Dad tried.
Not moving.
Dad used some pliers
It moved!
I knew I wanted to change the locks (key being under that mat for about a month and all) so I guess I'll be doing that a wee bit early, eh? Dad wound up putting the lock that I bought into the garage side door, and other lockset into the back door the next day.
Then it was on to the inside of the house!
The folks and I discovered a very weird thing in the terrifying yellow paint dining room.
It peeled off the walls like a sticker!
No, REALLY
So we peeled and peeled and peeled.
Some in the kitchen came off too!
This was really the first time I was actually mad at the previous owners. I fully understand it will not be the last time. But what should have been a weekend of painting will now turn into a full, very full, week of painting.
There was a very large pile of yellow bits on the floor, with a little bit of bright red sprinkled in. Looked like Big Bird had a terrible terrible accident. Or Pikichu exploded.
Most of it is in a trash bag now, but you still get bits of plasticy paint stuck on your feet.
We took off all the safety bars, and the recycled building materials place was VERY happy to get those.
On the right, there. prior to the peeling
Apparently they were very high quality. I would have only used them for drunky-pants walking support on big debauchery nights. And that would mean they would have been seldom used. Ahem. Very seldom. Hi Dad! (wave) Also, they are hideous.
Saturday was a big shopping day (going to happening a lot, I think). Paint, supplies, looked at flooring, went to recycled building place (I need a new door). We got started working on the house around 2. Scraping, cleaning, and painting and cutting in. Whee! The living room got the first primer coat up, and everyone was happy about that terrible green going away.
This terrible green
Into primer-y green
I started sanding. again, Whee! Finished the kitchen and moved into the living room. This is when I noticed something that would have been very handy to see sooner. When you sand red paint, you get red dust. Duh. A rather very much lot of red dust. On the mostly white kitchen. Le sigh.
I cleaned up, and in this darling corner, I stood up right under the corner of the cabinet. Big ouch. I still have a lump on my noggin.
Then I cut in the first primer coat.
Then I started rolling
And stopped.
The magical primer that was supposed to go on over the oil base?
Not so magical.
I called Dad and griped about stupid Lowes paint store woman who did NOT point me in the right direction, then I tidied up and went home and straight to bed!
So that is up to Saturday night, I'll continue on in the next post!
No comments:
Post a Comment